Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Hijab


Why I wear the hijab
I wear the hijab because it’s an obligation upon every Muslim woman and Allah commanded it in the Quran. I wear it to please Allah swt. When I first started wearing it I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do and it just felt right. I kept trying to put it off until later on in life or until I got married or something, but a friend reminded me that I don’t even know if I’m going to live until tomorrow. I realized that waiting wasn’t worth the risk. 
Why I love wearing the hijab
I love wearing the hijab because it always feels amazing when a fellow Muslim brother or sister sees me and says “Al Salamu Alaykum” just because they recognized me as a Muslim.  I feel a lot more confident in the hijab than I did before when I didn’t wear it. I love the feeling of knowing that I stand for something great and that anything good I do could be da3wa for someone else (or the opposite if I do something wrong because it could turn someone away from Islam) so it’s a big responsibility to wear the hijab, but I’m okay with that alhamdulilah. I’ve learned how to change the way I dress around the hijab and I really love the look of modest clothing and all the different ways I can wear my scarf. I find modesty really beautiful.  
What the hijab means to me
“Hijab” has a couple meanings to me. It has a literal meaning to me which is to wear the “veil” in order to be modest (cover the hair and the shape of the body) and protect my beauty. There’s also the “inner hijab” which is about being modest in speech, the way I act in public (especially with men), lowering my gaze, not gossiping, and just having all around etiquette. 
This is simply what hijab means to me. I don’t follow the definition of hijab I mentioned 100% but I’m working on myself everyday and inshAllah soon I’ll be able to wear the hijab as it should be worn both inside and out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment